Tuesday 24 April 2012

11 Days Overdue, but Finally in Labour!

helloo :)

Well, I'm in slow labour, but at least its official!

I'm now 11 days overdue, and had a midwife appointment booked in for 11.20am this morning, for a general check up and stretch and sweep (membrane sweep) If she felt it necessary, which will apparently put around half the women who have it done into labour with 24 hours, so i was hoping she would do one, just to get things moving, as i REALLY don't want to be induced on Friday, (if possible!)

But when i woke up this morning, around half 7, i felt 'different', not in any pain at all, just a bit of backache and sort of a dragging feeling at the bottom of my tum, (both generally, and especially whilst walking,) and i noticed i had had some of the 'show' (a clear jelly-like mucus stuff which seals the cervix) and this continued to come away most of the morning, up until my midwife appointment.

When i went in to see the midwife, (it was a different midwife to my usual 2) i explained about the show, and she said she would still do the cervical sweep, to try and get things moving for me.
When she examined me, (which is very uncomfortable more than painful) she got really excited and told me that the baby was 'presenting beautifully', was really low down and central, she could feel his head, and that i was already 2cm dilated and my cervix was getting thin! She said this is really unusual in a first baby (being 2cm dilated without pains or anything), and even if i did end up staying in slow labour, and have to be admitted to hospital on Friday, she thought it highly unlikely that they would have to give me a pessary (an artificial aid to kick start the labour hormones), and that they would only probably need to break my waters, which should mean (hopefully) a quicker delivery! Yay!

Other things at midwife appointment - my blood pressure and everything was great, Baby's head was more or less as engaged as its going to get until delivery, Ethan's heartbeat was perfect (it sped up after he was prodded in the head by the midwife, and he moved loads afterwards!) and my bump was measuring 39cm (a week behind, but good) and then that was it, and i was sent on my way from my last midwife appointment , which, in a funny way made me feel a bit sad :/

Since the appointment, Simon is a nervous wreck but has gone off to work, mum and i have taken the dog out for a walk, as i keep getting told that the more you walk about the better/quicker labour is, and now I'm just waiting and getting excited for things to start happening!
I'm still not in any 'proper' pain, although I'm getting more noticeably stronger contractions, (that are like Braxton Hicks coupled with period pain in my lower back) that are coming about every 30 to 45 minutes or so, at a rough guess, and the midwife said to look out for period pain type pain, and bleeding (which Ive had a small amount of, along with more of my 'show') or breaking of water (both of which need to be reported to hospital maternity assessment unit) as signs of labour :)


I am now going to get a warm bath with some of the 'magic' essential oils, then put on my labour Tens Machine if i feel the need, as i would like to stay at home for as long as i can before going into hospital.
So fingers crossed that things happen tonight, and these will be my last Pregnant Bump Pictures, at 41 weeks and 4 days:





Come on baby, i cant wait to meet you! x

3 comments:

  1. Oh woweee! How so super exciting for you :)
    Wishing you all the luck in the world - looking forward to seeing your gorgeous bubba! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lovely, although he is a lazy boy and things are pretty much the same today as my last post :( still, at least im in labour lol x

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to meet your son. Little boys are such a joy. Love Katie x

    ReplyDelete